So what did I do with my son’s play table once I finished the chair?
I decided to paint the top with some blackboard paint I’ve bought in Wilkinson’s and the legs with the Annie Sloan’s chalk paint, this time in red (so the whole set of two chair and table are in primary colours).
Again, I started by cleaning the table. Then I applied the blackboard paint to the top. I began with it as the chalk paint wipes off easily even when it is dry!
I painted the top with about three layers of blackboard paint but retrospectively I would do even more as my son has scratched it loads since. Maybe a different brand would be better but I don’t know.
I then carried on to paint the table with the red Annie Sloan Chalk paint (I think it’s called Emperor’s Silk but I can’t remember and the pot is upstairs so I’ll leave you to guess)
As with the chair, I painted it a couple of times to make sure it’s covered properly.
I then continues to sand then wax (or did I wax then sand – it doesn’t really matter how you do it, you can bring out the colour of the wood if you wax after)
Here is a close up of the sanding I did. You need to experiment with different grades of sandpaper to see which gives you the texture you like.
I let it all dry then varnished it with quick drying varnish about three times.
That’s it! Here’s Little Monkey and his finished furniture.
I’d love to know what you think so please comment bellow!
I have recently been to a workshop at the lovely Re-Loved where I learned to decorate items using Annie Sloan’s paints. I chose to bring one of my son’s chairs I wanted to upcycle and using the skills learned at the workshop I also did the other chair and table.
First, I cleaned the chair of any muck. You don’t have to sand it as this paint can stick to most surfaces and if sanded it is more likely to absorb into the wood (or so I’ve been told
I started painting from the bottom so it’s easier to paint everything else (by the time the top is finished the paint was dry to the touch underneath)
Next painting the rest of the chair, leaving it to dry for a bit (if it’s warm it doesn’t take long, maybe half an hour if that) then another layer.
I then used some plastic stencils with a brush and black acrylic paint on the back of the chair…
Those things at the back hanging to dry are the cloth nappies we use in case you were wondering!
After I finished all the painting and stencilling I dabbed a cloth in wax (I used an old kitchen towel but you can probably get better things for this) and covered the chair with it. I then sanded the chair to give it a bit of a used look. You could also do this the other way around – sand first, wax later.
I then left it for a few days for the wax to dry/absorb or what ever it is that it does… and varnished it. You don’t have to, but as it is going to be used by small children I figured it was a good idea. I varnished it about 3 times (yes I may have been OTT) but this was easy as I did it with a quick drying wood varnish.
To see the final product you will have to wait for the next post where I’ll show you what I did with the table
See you soon!
So much has changed in the last year, I won’t bore you with the details. I now enjoy working for my sister and enjoy it immensely. I may go into it at more depth in future but for now here are some things I’ve made in the last year.
More will follow in other posts as I will go into more detail as to how I’ve made them 🙂
A bag I sewed with the help of the lovely Fiona from Fi Fabrics
A Bunny I knitted using a pattern from the book ‘Knitted Nursery’
And a knitted Sweater I made for my son (he is over a year old now!!) using a technique a friend taught me of knitting from the top down and all in one go – I love it!